Italy is known for its food especially its classic Italian desserts. Probably the most famous of all Italian desserts is Panna Cotta and Tiramisu. Other classic Italian desserts are Cannot, Amaretto Biscotti, Mascarpone Chocolate Chips Cookies, Casata, etc.
The recipe for two most popular Italian desserts i.e. Panna Cotta and Tiramisu are as follows:
Itis originally from Piedmont in northern Italy. ‘Panna’ means cream and ‘cotta’ means cooked.
- 2 cup full cream
- 1 Vanilla pod
- 2.5 tbsp. sugar
- 1 leaf gelatin
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. dark rum
- Soak gelatin leaf in half cup cold water until it softens.
- Add sugar and cream and mix it well in a pan.
- Split and scrape out Vanilla pod and add the whole pod in the cream mixture and add Vanilla extracts.
- Now on a medium flame bring the cream mixture to a boil.
- Mix gelatin to the above mix until dissolved, add rum and strain the mixture through a fine sieve.
- Pour the mixture into the molds and refrigerate it overnight until it is set.
- Note – Before trying to take the panna cotta out of the mold, dip the molds in warm water for 5 seconds and gently flip it out on a plate.
- Panna cotta is ready to be served.
- 6 cups water
- 2 tbsp. instant Espresso
- 50 ml Kahlua (a coffee liqueur)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1.5 Cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. vanilla essence
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 boxes of lady finger cookies
Method for making whipped cream– Add cold heavy cream in a deep bowl, add vanilla essence and keep whisking it till it comes together and you get a nice creamy whipped cream.
- Take water in a bowl and espresso powder, stir the espresso till it dissolves.
- To the mixture, add a bottle of Kahlua and whisk it properly.
- Now set up a double boiler i.e. heat water in a pan at medium flame and on top of it place a bowl with 6 egg yolks now whisk the eggs and add sugar. Whisk the mixture constantly for 8 to 10 minutes.
- When egg mixture turns thick, add two tablespoon of milk to smoothen the mixture.
- Take the bowl off the heat and let it cool down completely.
- After the egg yolk mixture has cool down add one cup mascarpone cheese to it. Mix it well till nice and smooth.
- Add whipped cream to it. Fold them gently
- Take ladyfinger cookies, dip it into the espresso mixture. One by one and place it into a flat glass dish.
- Now layer the cookies with half of the egg and cream mixture. Repeat the same process.
- Covered this mixture with a foil or plastic sheet and let it rest for at least 8 hours in the refrigerator.
- When it sets cut it into a big square piece and dust coco powder on top.
Classic Italian Desserts require time and patience. But, the final product is worth the time invested. They go very well in any kind of occasion.